Hastings Half marathon has been cancelled in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.
In a statement issued this afternoon Race Director Eric Hardwick said: “The Hastings Lions Club, organisers of the Hastings Half Marathon take the safety and health or all our entrants, helpers, spectators and suppliers very seriously. With this in mind, we have no alternative but to cancel this year’s event.”
Cancellation of the event will be a blow to local charities and those in need as last year the Lions donated more than £70,000 to good causes from receipts from the half marathon.
Mr Hardwick urged those who were planning to take part to, “…still try to run a virtual distance at some time to obtain your precious sponsorship for those in need.’
“At this stage we would offer all entrants a completely free entry for next year’s event on Sunday March 21st 2021.
“The health of all people is what is important, at this difficult time and we would encourage everyone to follow government guidelines to protect themselves and others from this virus,” he said in his statement.