Life-saving potential – fund opened to support projects to reduce suicide and self-harm

Cash boosts of up to £15,000 are being made available for projects that help to prevent suicides and reduce self-harm in high risk groups.

Groups and organisations have until Monday, September 7th to apply for a share of the Suicide Prevention Fund, launched by the Sussex Health and Care Partnership – made up of local councils and health services.

The fund was first launched earlier this year with the initial round of funding in May aimed at initiatives addressing the impact of the Covid-19 crisis and restrictions put in place.

‘This fund will… deliver potentially life-saving projects…’

The second round of funding, a total of £125,000, will support projects that aim to reduce the number of suicides in all high risk groups identified in the National Suicide Prevention Strategy – including middle-aged men – and reduce instances of self-harm.

Darrell Gale, Director of East Sussex Public Health, said: “This fund will… deliver potentially life-saving projects”

Many projects might not have been possible to implement without the financial support that has so far seen £24,308 awarded to projects across Sussex so far this summer.

“We know that there are even more projects out there that do great work and could benefit greatly from some financial support, or that need a little help to get started,” says Mr Gale.

“Whether they are new projects or initiatives that can be expanded to help even more people, we want to hear from organisations and groups who focus support on those people in the high-risk categories,” he says.

  • Grants of between £1,000 and £15,000 will be considered.
  • All applications will be reviewed by a panel which includes representatives from member organisations of the Sussex Health and Care Partnership and someone with experience of a suicide attempt, suicidal thoughts and feeling, or a suicide loss.
  • Funding can only be given to constituted groups.  Voluntary Action in East Sussex, West Sussex or Brighton & Hove can give details of how to set up a constituted group.
  • To submit a bid, discuss an application or access support to develop a bid, contact Libby Hill at libby.hill@eastsussex.gov.uk Bids for the second round of funding must be received by Monday, September 7th.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related

In memory of Bernard – couple donate £1,000 to greenhouse fund

The family of a former gardener who worked at an historic greenhouse in Hastings has donated £1,000 towards the campaign to put a permanent roof on the structure. Bernard Mallion, who died in January last year at the age of 92, joined the team growing fruit and vegetables at the greenhouse in Alexandra Park during […]

The road to nowhere – that’s going somewhere at last

Work will start on Monday to complete the Queensway Gateway link road but it is just a ‘temporary fix’ according to its developers. To Hastings councillor Godfrey Daniel a temporary fix is not good enough, he told a recent meeting of East Sussex County Council: “I don’t think it is satisfactory that we plan on […]