Hastings Borough Council’s planners are performing to a high standard with a low number of appeals and a good success record according to the Planning Advisory Service.
HBC’s planning service was recently reviewed by the Planning Advisory Service and they were very positive about the planning service HBC provides and considers it to be ‘running well’.
The advisory service review noted the difficultly in recruiting staff which is resulting in high workloads, the revioew says: “The team is rightly proud of the efforts they have made to maintain a good level of service…. They should take credit for getting things done quickly, their recovery from a poor spell and for their current performance levels.”
Other positive aspects highlighted by the review included:
- Keeping in touch with people
- Discussing applications with applicants and agents to secure a positive outcome
- Using the 21 day letter to outline issues early in the process
- Working efficiently – HBC uses uses a specialist computer system to help the processing of applications
- Clear work processes
The report suggested that areas for improvement included:
- Ensuring the capacity of the team is maintained.
- Presenting Council schemes to councillors before planning applications are made,
The review’s conclusion notes the enthusiasm of the staff and their willingness to engage with and deliver a good service to their customers.
The report can be read in full on the council website.
Have you had recent experience of Hastings Borough Council’s planning department? Do you agree with the outcome of the review? Comment below or email your experiences to firstname.lastname@example.org